(placeholder)

Promoting God's work, sharing God's resources

November 2016

If you have an interest in writing, we have an interest in you. Talk to us about joining our team

Click here to find out how

My full name is Daniel Calcagno. The name of the church is Glad Tidings Church of God of the Abrahamic Faith. I just call it Glad Tidings. And the length of time at that church is over two years now… two years full time since August of 2014.

2 What is your favourite pastime: reading, sports, outdoors, etc.

It's interesting. Bible study is one of my favourite pastimes, and I get to do it now, as my job. So yeah, Bible study, talking about philosophy, and politics… those are favourite pastimes of mine. Outside of that, probably reading comic books. And that's not an exaggeration, because if you were to come into my home you would see what we call our fun room and I have my thousands of comic books that I have acquired over the years. Yeah, I'm a big nerd. So there’s that, and probably playing music. I play the drums and guitar. But honestly, for the most part, just spending time with my wife. We have to type of relationship where we are best friends and we love spending time together.

3 Favourite all time (or current) Bible book, Bible story, or Bible passage, and why

I'm not really a “favourite” guy. It would be hard for me to say that anything is my “favourite”. But I know that I can say that Paul is my favourite biblical writer.

4 Briefly describe the series of events that brought you to your church, your current role, ministry in general

I grew up in the Pentecostal church but my faith was never personal or real. It was real enough insofar as I could say that I believed in the gospel, and in God, and in Jesus, and the Bible. But it wasn't until I was 20 years old that I had an experience where I made it my own faith. I was now a committed Christian with my own personal relationship with God. I was reading the Bible, thoroughly reading it. And I just wanted to share what I was learning. I've always been that kind of person, but it came out much more when I became a committed Christian. I figured, if I'm gonna learn something it’s going to be for the purpose of sharing it with others. That fit perfectly in a Bible setting because people want to know what the Bible has to say. So I just tried to understand the Bible as much as I could. We eventually started a Friday Night Bible study.

I’m into the Jewish roots of our faith. I’m trying to understand, and trying to learn from the Jewish people of today who believe in Jesus— Messianic Jews. So since Friday night is the beginning of the Sabbath, we figured, ‘hey, let's do a Friday night Sabbath sort of thing where we get together, share a meal, and do a Bible study. That started back in like 2007. That went for years, and still goes today. But up until 2014, that was all I was doing. That, and a YouTube channel.

Then I discovered a guy named Anthony Buzzard. And I thought he sounded really interesting on topics like the Trinity, and other important theological issues. And through him, and other people like him, I changed my mind on some of these issues. So I wonder, okay, what denomination is he a part of? I looked it up… Church of God of the Abrahamic Faith. Never heard of it before. So where are the nearest churches? One in Welland, one in Fonthill. Of all the places in Canada, for me to be, I'm right in the middle of two churches from this denomination. So I started going to the one in Fonthill. They needed a pastor. I say, ‘hey, I'm not a pastor, but I am going to Bible school and I have a heart for a Bible study and I'm willing to learn, and I'm willing to be trained. Would you accept me?’ And over the course of six months, it worked out. I am now the full-time pastor.

Now, of course I had previously supported my wife in terms of working a full-time job, but I felt hollow at a regular job. For me, it was like, when you know you should be in full-time ministry, you have a calling inside of you, and you feel purposeless at any other position. As soon as I became the pastor, I felt great. This is exactly what I wanted to do in life. I don't think a month goes by when I don't mention from the pulpit, ‘I really appreciate you guys accepting me as your pastor because this is what I want to do and I don't know how I would be able to do it without you guys.’ Yeah, I really appreciate that position that were in. Because I know what it could have been. I could have just continued to work a regular job and not feel fulfilled, you know? But I now feel fulfilled. I'm not saying it's easy, but I do feel fulfilled.

5 Briefly describe how you met Jesus

I grew up in a Pentecostal church with a Christian family. My dad was the type of person who was always talking about God and the Bible, and he still is. So that influence was always there. I went to church every week and I guess because of the kind of church I was a part of— with the youth group and the worship team and playing drums and all that stuff— it all kept me there. Even though I may not have had that real, personal relationship with Jesus, (activities) kept me at that church. But then when something happened in my life, as the case may be for a lot of people, where I realized that I needed God. It then clicked with me, that I was now fully a part of that church, and fully part of Christian life. I think you can say it this way: I always knew Jesus, but then I had an experience where I had a relationship with him.

“When you know you should be in full-time ministry, you have a calling inside of you, and you feel purposeless at any other position.”

(placeholder)
(placeholder)

5 Questions with... Dan Calcagno, Glad Tidings Church, Pelham

Dan Calcagno of Glad Tidings Church, Pelham.

Faith News Niagara presents another instalment of "5 Questions", the continuing segment where readers can get to know the local ministers of the region a little better.

Today's 5 Questions article with Dan Calcagno is from an interview from early October, 2016.

1 What is your name, the name of your church ministry, and the length of time you've been at that ministry.

Learn more about what Faith News founder Steve Samuels is passionate about in Steve Shares

Click here to read now

Local Arts       Local Ministries       Faith and Finances       Podcast       What is FNN       Support FNN

Local Arts       Local Ministries       Faith and Finances       Podcast       What is FNN       Support FNN

Views expressed in Faith News articles are not necessarily the views of Faith News Niagara, except those found in the "Steve Shares" blog.

All content is property of Faith News Niagara, unless otherwise noted.

Did you enjoy this article? One great way to help Faith News bring you more great content like this is to share it with others! Click any button provided on the left of your screen. Thanks!